Scary Video Game Facts for October
- Boo, the cute little ghost from the Super Mario Bros. franchise, was actually “based on the wife of the game's co-designer Takashi Tezuka. As [Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario,] explained in an interview with Nintendo Power magazine: ‘... His wife is very quiet normally, but one day she exploded, maddened by all the time he spent at work. In the game, there is now a character who shrinks when Mario looks at it, but when Mario turns away, it will grow large and menacing’” (Stuart, 2010).
- In the video game Sonic Unleashed, Sonic’s voice actor at the time, Jason Griffith, had symptoms of something like strep throat while he was recording (Find the Computer Room, 2012). Now, remember he wasn’t just voicing Sonic the Hedgehog, but a monster (or rather werehog) version of the character—so that would require lots of yelling and screaming. Mr. Griffith deserves applause for that performance!
- The town of Silent Hill, from the Silent Hill franchise, is based off of the town, Centralia, PA—a town condemned because of a coal mine fire. As of 2017, it was reported that only five residents live in this ghost-town-to-be. (Centralia, Pennsylvania. n.d.; Alexander, 2017).
- The protagonist’s name in Five Nights at Freddy’s is Mike Schmidt (Mihai, 2015).
- Blobbert is a blob (Just in case you are wondering). Learn how to build a video game with him here!
Alexander, C. (2017, October 12). 20 Silent Hill facts you had no idea about. In The Gamer. Retrieved from https://www.thegamer.com/20-silent-hill-facts-you-had-no-idea-about/
Centralia, Pennsylvania. (n.d.). In Wikipedia. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania
Find the Computer Room. (June 14, 2012). The Hog-Caster"— Interview with Jason Griffith, former voice of Sonic the Hedgehog [video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owQGh2KWayQ&feature=youtu.be
Mihai, C. (2015, February 10). Interesting facts about Five Nights at Freddy’s. In Tee Hunter. Retrieved from https://teehunter.com/2015/02/interesting-facts-about-five-nights-at-freddys/
Stuart, K. (2010, September 13). Super Mario Bros: 25 Mario facts for the 25th anniversary. In The Guardian. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2010/sep/13/games-gameculture</p>